Sri Lanka CERT | CC Research and Policy Development division was established with the intention of:
- Developing strategies and formulating policies related to information security and cyber security for the nation
- Conducting national level surveys on the various domains related to information and cyber security
- Conducting research on cyber threats and issuing alerts on possible threats
- Coordinating special projects related to information security and cyber security.
Some of the key national level projects undertaken by the Research and Policy Development Division of Sri Lanka CERT|CC include:
- Developed the Sri Lanka’s first National Information and Cyber Security Strategy with the involvement of key stakeholders from state and private sectors.
- Developed security policies for government institutions.
- Deployed nationwide surveys to assess the information and cyber security landscape in Sri Lanka
- Conducted research and identify the risks and threats that would affect Sri Lanka’s cyber space and issue alerts to subscribers.
- Serving as the focal point for providing required information for the conduct of national and international surveys on information security and cyber security.
Some of the future projects Sri Lanka CERT|CC will undertake in the coming years include:
- Implementation of the National Information and Cyber Security Strategy with the involvement of key stakeholders.
- A survey to assess the supply and demand of information and cyber security professionals in Sri Lanka to develop policies and strategies by addressing the gaps between supply and demand of cyber security professionals.
- A survey to assess the preparedness of the organizations that provide essential and critical services to the nation, and to establish whether their information infrastructure is capable of confronting potential cyber security threats.
- A research project to determine the level of awareness and perceptions of public sector officials about cyber security and to formulate strategies to increase public officials’ awareness of information security and cyber security.
- A national survey to assess the perceptions and values of the Sri Lankan citizens about cyber security and to develop strategies to increase awareness based on these findings.
- Development of a Chatbot based on Artificial Intelligence (AI) principles to effectively respond to cyber security related inquiries from citizens.